Friday, September 30, 2011

Somewhat back!

I've been camera- less and my blackberry phone camera sucks on toast!
This quilt below is one that I made entirely by hand, no machine. No plan. I had a lot of fun with it, and I have found a real love for half square triangles... is that what they're called? I am hand quilting this, too... almost like a comforter, similar to one of Tony's store- bought quilts, with the lines about 3" apart, and horizontal- ish. I don't have a functional quilting frame right now, although I do have a broken hoop- floor frame I drape it over sometimes, and the gals at the quilting shop gave me (yes, GAVE ME!!!) a frame that I can't figure out how to use. It may be missing a part, or I may be really damn dumb.





I also love pinwheels. :)





And I had to add Halloween to the quilt, since Tony loves all the holidays so much. The flying geese, I don't know what came over me. But I do love orange and blue together. The binding is way too narrow for my tastes, but that's how I pictured the quilt, so that's what I'm doing.




I do love this quilt, and I LOVE the postage stamp groups I have in the quilt... but I am so ready to move on. I am going to make my BIL a quilt for Christmas, my sister thinks I should involve lobster somehow. (He's a lobsterman.) He works on an island and he stays there about 50% of the time, so this would be his quilt for the island. It's going to be mostly batiks, and mostly dark colors. I'm not sure how to get started on it, whether I should do a Gee's Bend type or go free-hand with it, or set out with a theme.

Ma is still battling stage IV renal cancer... so many moments, I wonder if 'this is it,' and I think I'm prepared. But I don't think I ever can be. I think I can prepare for that moment, but I sure can't prepare for a lifetime of 'I wish I could call her and ask her something...' My father passed 13 years ago (Oct. 12th) and I still say that. Sutent nearly wiped her off the mat. Her oncologist gave up on her, gave her about 3 months if she's lucky... her new doctor doesn't look at a crystal ball, she just started her on a better chemo and lots of IV therapies.

Nicky is doing surprisingly well, after a really rough month. Tony, as always is great, well except for a broken nose two days ago at school!

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Love the quilt, it is amazing! Sorry to hear about your mom. Hugs!