Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Well, there's a lot of snow out there. (+ recipe)

I live in Maine because I love the snow, I love the cold, I LOVE AND ADORE AND LOVE EVEN MORE life here in fall... I love the slow life.

I think I'm almost sick of snow, though. So many days off from school = two kids, who thrive on structure, to tear our place and our sanity apart. One doesn't like to go out in the snow. The other one does, but he's got a head cold. One goes to school 45 miles away, and I'm wondering (okay, I'm HOPING) about school tomorrow.

This picture came out amazing. Not sure why it has sort of a grainy look, but it works here.















So, not much crafting done- lots of deep cleaning upstairs. Maybe tonight I'll try to finish up a quilt I'm tired of working on. It will look so nice on the bed, but I'm so tired of working on it.

I did make this today, though.
And oh my gosh, is it all so good.
















Do you want to make it, too? Sure you do.

I don't write things down as I go- it's more of a method of a little bit of this/ that. I don't know how to do anything right, I just know how to make things I like. It varies a bit each time, but it always (usually) comes out edible.

Oatmeal Bread (makes 1 loaf)

In a big bowl:

1 c warm water
2.5 tsps. yeast

Let the yeast soften, then stir it a bit with a wooden spoon.

3 good squeezes of honey, at room temperature. Probably about 2-3 tbsps.
2 c oatmeal

Combine.

Add 1 cup of flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 2-3 TB melted butter, combine. Then add enough flour to make it knead-able. Knead about 8 mins, or till smooth. It may be kind of hard to knead. Place it back in the clean, buttered bowl and let it rise till double, about 1 hr.

Punch down, let rise again 1 hr.

Knead, shape into a loaf, put it in a bread pan. I don't grease my glass pan and I never have sticking problems. Let rise -another- hour.

Heat oven to 400*. Spread a little room temp butter on top of that loaf and bake it about 25 mins or till it's hollow when it's tapped. Should be light brown by then.

Take it out, butter it again if you're so inclined. Slice into it right away, because you can't wait, and then put even MORE butter on THAT slice. :)

-----

Chicken Stew

What I do is boil a few big chicken breasts in a large pot filled 1/2 way with water. When I can stick the chicken with a fork and it starts coming away from the bone, it's done. I take the chicken out and cube it, discarding the bones and skin. In another bowl, I have already chopped a few carrots, some kale, and I throw in a can of peas. I dump out half the water, then I add a big can of chicken stock. (Or, I don't discard any water, but I add a few TB of powdered chicken stock.) I add all the ingredients back to the pot, add about a cup of rice, cover, turn the temp down to low, and let it simmer till the rice is done. Oh yes, and I add about 1/2 TB of salt, about 1 tsp of powdered sage, and about 1 TB dry Italian seasonings.

It's really good.

And if you have leftovers the next day, you can add some sauteed sweet (or Italian) sausage and some parm cheese, and even some sauteed zucchini if you have some and bake it about 1/2 hour to heat it all the way through.

- jess

No comments: