Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wool pants and handspun.

I've still been sewing, but who wants to suffer (SUFFER!!!) with a hot iron right next to them?! At night, I've been able to get some hand quilting done on that big brown quilt.

And you know what else? The next quilt I make, I am going to use starch. I really want to keep getting better at quilting. I want accuracy! But my question: since I hand quilt, should I wash the top and iron it out before I hand quilt it? I don't think I could handle the feel of starched fabric in my hands. I could make a naughty comparison, but basically, I think starched fabric would take the fun out of quilting it.

Do you all plan the finished size of your quilt, exactly to the inch, or do you say, well I'll make it approximately this size... ?



Knitting: I can't tell you how much I love every inch of these yarns. I LOVE handspun yarns, especially when I come across one I dyed a few years ago, and the memories come back about what was going on at the time. I have one skein I dyed before a trip to Bodega Bay (before kids, we actually had a little travel time/ money) and I spun it at a spa we went to, on a spindle. We took my mother on that trip, so she could go to the building where The Birds was filmed.

SHE was EVIL!!! (heh... )


Okay, so the pants: size small (not sure why I put medium before, oops) I'm on the final leg of these. hehe.
















The yarn is ever slightly thick/ thin.




























I'm spinning up a ton of this color below. :)


1 comment:

Deborah said...

Great knitting! I don't know about others but I don't plan out exact dimensions of quilts unless it is specifically a journal quilt, atc, etc. For full size quilts I usually just try to aim for queen, double, twin, etc., depending upon if I have a particular general size in mind.