Monday, December 28, 2009

No camera... grr.

#2 son took off with my camera. I don't know where it is! So these are taken from my phone.


I decided to try watercolors. I have no idea what the heck I'm doing but it is really relaxing.





















Tony has, too! I like how he wrote his name... that's 'NY' up top, he makes sideways 'y's. He is so proud of this!

















He also made this, which I love, in school.
















I'm hand stitching some Civil War repro fabrics into a lap quilt for the couch/ car, since we never have enough. I can't bring myself to use the machine anymore. I need something to do that doesn't require instant gratification...

















I will post more later. I'm about 3/4 of the way done with an Irish Chain Quilt from Moda, using Heather Ross Far Far Away prints. I'm not a 'trendy' fabric kinda gal but her prints are so nostalgic for me.

We had a GREAT Christmas! I don't do resolutions, but this year will be filled with even more 'finding ourselves.' I'm going to plot out even more amazing, delicious ways to eat healthy, steer clear of the processed stuff (and drive thru's, may the various Gods help me with that) and cook, cook, cook- which I love to do, anyway. I'm going to try out a recipe for oatmeal bread later, and profiteroles.

Nicky is the original dump 'em out, s&m kid. Don't take that the wrong way. He dumps everything out, slams doors (like for hours if we'd let him) and he loves to be corrected. We don't hit him, mostly because he'd like it too much. Tony wrestles hard with him and he literally begs for more, lol. Even now, he's throwing a toy down the stairs and saying, 'Nitty, NO!' hoping I'll go stop him. He has a hard time pronouncing 'k' so he pluggs in 't'. We've got an eval in a few weeks to determine meds for him. I keep putting it off, hoping behavioral therapy alone will help, but it really isn't and things are getting worse. We have in- home behavioral help coming within a few weeks, so he'll have help @ school and here, as well. He is a really bright kid, but his behaviors are at an impulsive 18 month level. His teachers are all inspired by his progress, and they're helping him and challenging him- thank heavens, no one has given up on him. I'm about ready to run away most nights though... But then I look at him snuggled up sleeping and I realize how much I love him and how much he needs me... Oh yes and I taught him to sew. :)

Tony is progress, progress, progress. He has incredible selective hearing. Phonics and art are his strong points, and imitation- he can imitate inflections to near perfection. I can see him acting. Both boys have lots of little friends in and out of school, but the girls fight over him (literally) and he is so clueless to it sometimes. Socially, he has a way to go to catch up, but my little 1 lb preemie is a major inspiration for me. He doesn't know the word 'victim' or the phrase 'self pity.' I have a lot to learn from him.

Mike is still doing really great. Still bald. Still does laundry, still doesn't listen unless I put suggestive words in front of what I want him to do. You want a guy to listen, mention T&A someplace in the request. They WILL hear it.

3 comments:

ArtSparker said...

This post is kind of a miracle of exposition. Do you guys eat oatmeal? I pour a quart of boiling water over a couple of big handfuls of oatssraw (from the health food store) and leave it to stand overnight. Oats are very calming for the nervous system, and hey, it can't hurt. Hope Nicky can grow into his energy.

I also love baking and hand-sewing in winter.

(hey)Jude said...

HI Jess! I love your color play! Keep doing that. From one who knows, color play and experimentation make my days exciting and so very happy. Thanks for watching my blog. I love that you stop by!
(hey)Jude
www.strawmountainblog.blogspot.com

myinspired♥{sandra} said...

love your watercolor there....it looks great! i like to play around with watercolor too from time to time..especially those watercolor pencils...fun! i actually just bought some big-girl markers a couple of weeks ago. I'm really loving those...much like paint and so much better than crayola, LOL!

Hope you're doing well! Happy New Year!