Thursday, November 5, 2009

Old and New.

I picked up a quilt top a while back, courthouse steps, at a local antique place for $16... I believe I blogged about it. Every single piece of that quilt top is amazing... although it isn't backed, it is two layers of fabric. It's sitting on the couch right now. I cherish this piece of history that was lovingly sewn together with needle and thread by a skilled woman, long before I was born.

Enter: Frankly, I don't know.

I sent the kids on the bus this morning, and M was upstairs, recovering from a night of ...fun. Ok technically he was working, but it's more of a hobby, I swear. For almost an hour, I was cutting slowly, positioning pieces, re-positioning pieces... and I caught a glimpse of that quilt. The patterned fabric is vegetable dyed, and the white is from curtains that were in a pile to be thrown out at the swap shop. The hand feel is wonderful. I don't freakin' think so, bub. This fabric... shall LIVE!
















Basted, waiting to be stitched. Approx. the size of a FQ. It will, likely, either be added to my big blanket or it will go on the wall.



This little gem! This here was a tiny piece among many that was left over from a small quilt I made months ago... from fabric adopted from the swap shop. I found it in the bathroom... Nicky (the 5 year old eloping madman) stashes some of his treasures under the sink, and apparently, this was one that he'd left behind. I love that kid. ::) The lady in blue, she's some sweet...
















I think I'm going to hide the apple cider... it is amazing, though.

5 comments:

ArtSparker said...

What an interesting child your youngest is...And you write about your life very well.

jess said...

Thank you, Art! It took me 5 years to appreciate and embrace this hilarity... kind of like that quote, 'no one said it would be easy; they just said it would be worth it.' It is... :)

Deborah said...

I'm enjoying reading your blog!

ArtSparker said...

You might want to see if you can get hold of a copy of Shirley jackson's "Life among the Savages".

MrsAshley said...

Very interesting blog!