Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Get Inspired- Hand Piecing?!!

Yep.
I got thinking, gosh, I detest piecing. Well, not always, but I certainly don't look forward to it as much as I love hand quilting. But I couldn't imagine piecing an entire quilt by hand, unless it was big pieces, and that didn't appeal to me too much. Then, my neighbor, who doesn't have a machine showed me a fabulous quilt she made recently, all hand done.

That certainly whet my appetite, but it didn't send me over the edge, yet. But eventually, I *did* go over the edge.

THIS right here is why!

So whilst the shit hit the fan yesterday, I started this little devil. (I'm telling you, this summer has been unreal... ) Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt. I'm going to surround each flower, very likely, with black fabric... because I'm all closet Goth like that. The pieces are about 1.5" once they're sewn. It's so fun, though. I didn't think I'd like it but I'm addicted. I'm still hand quilting the Amish quilt, but this quilt is my focus right now.

















I can't wait to iron it! I'm sure I'm doing it 'wrong,' because I'm not using papers and folding them and all of that... but as long as I get the results I want, it's right. The brown fabric is flannel and it's lovely. The rest is from the scrap piles. And I decided to save all my un-sewable scraps to stuff into a pillow I'm going to make someday. Hey, waste not, want not. I'm all crunchy and frugal like that. Still can't wait to get more fabric, though. ; )

















Polypay, laceweight, possibly cobweb, 2- ply. I plied this up before I'd planned to, because I didn't want it to lose twist sitting on the spindles. I love intricate work. Once I get all this stuff spun up (if I live to be that old!) I am going to make myself a shawl with it.
















Aww dat Sicky Nickles. My little guy has had a heck of a fever since last night. I was up with him last night, and I've babied him like crazy today. Poor kid. He's got a well visit this week, too. Our neighbors have been sick, and he's been around them... I hope #1 son doesn't get it, too. I feel like I have it, a bit lower. :-x TMI!!!

















I got a stack of books, free, SS, of course. I collect the oldies.

4 comments:

Aimee said...

Wow - I would love to do a Flower Garden quilt but don't have your patience (or manual dexterity!). It is hand sewing month on Sew Mama Sew's blog as well - you should find tons of inspiration!

jess said...

TY Aimee, I didn't know about that blog, or I'd forgotten! OMG you could totally do that quilt, just make bigger pieces. ; )

Gail :) said...

I Love things that are comepletely handmade! Kudos to you :) It will be so lovely and super soft!

I Love Baby Quilts! said...

Looks good! Thanks for the shout out on your blog. If you want, check out the photos on the left hand side of my blog to see my hand pieced grandmother's flower garden!